Saturday, April 9, 2016

Futbol as Football Series: Boavista FC

Futbol as Football Series: Boavista FC from the Primeira Liga in Portugal.

I've done teams with checkering (is that a term) before in their identity, yet not where it was a major part of their uniform. I know Boavista's main uniform would not fly in today's NCAA thanks, in part, to the Bib jerseys BYU wore in 1999. 

Thanks for ruining the possibilities, BYU! 

I still went with it for a First and Third Kit for Boavista. 

This is my project and I can do what I want to! (plus I can always do a checkered yoke design for a more standard jersey at a later date)

Boavista's 2014-15 kits are better, in my opinion, than their current set and are the ones I based by concepts on.

Errea is the club's kit manufacturer, and in my search for a possible corollary in the American system I decided on Riddell. Now, Riddell would be considered a step down from Russell and possibly a step up from Wilson in hierarchy of uniform manufacturers (well, in my opinion). They do produce a Viper template uniform that can be fantastic if done well. Riddell is more known for their helmet manufacturing and they do make a mean product. Their uniform templates seem to match up better (or I made them match up) for what I wanted to do with the Checkered Ones. (I also ditched the Old Gold pants I did on the Standard Third Kit and went with Black knickers (see definition 1) for their "real life" set).

In my standard template, the numbers didn't work as well across the midsection as they did with the "real life" template. 

I'm okay with that.

I did make concepts with numbers closer to what they wear on their futbol kit in which I will breakout at a later date. 

I drew a minimized Panther symbol that wasn't in snarl mode for their helmet. You don't ALWAYS have to have a mean looking caricature for your team symbol (see the 1970s-80s Milwaukee Bucks). People know a Panther means business, so I decided to go for a more regal look for the big cat.

Fonts used: Number: Fatcat, Name on Back: Pocket Knife Marquee, Team Wordmark: Hellfire Club 2.










Update 14 April 2016: The font used on this set is similar to what Boavista wears in real life. The font is called Peppermint if you are wondering.




No comments:

Post a Comment