Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Futbol as Football Series: FC Spartak Moscow


Futbol as Football Series: FC Spartak Moscow from the Russian Premier League.

This is my salute to the folks from Russia who have paid a visit to the blog! 
Спасибо!
I believe I mentioned in a previous post I was in a fantasy football league called the UWFFL. 

Here's how the league worked: Instead of picking players and using their stats; team owners created uniform concepts and each week were pitted head-to-head with on another. Voting from the public helped determine the winner each week.

Teams from the International division were required to have crests on the front of their jerseys similar to the "Throwback" Letter-fronted jerseys worn by Michigan, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Louisiana-Lafayette (and you can see my concepts here). Another standard for UWFFL International uniforms was the use of an across the shoulder stripe/yoke which you will see in the "generic" templates further down the post.

To round out my "Real World" with a "generic" concept, I have included my 2014 Spartak Moscow design (Spartak Russia in the UWFFL).  

I did my best to stay true to the uniform livery used by all the Meat teams. For my UWFFL uniform, I widened the chest stripe to keep with Spartak's history with an enlarged Crest on front. I kept the chest stripe about the same for my Nike Speed Concept with the team's crest dead center. I also have contrasting badges on the shoulders for both designs.

For the helmet symbol, I found an old crest(?) with a Spartan head from the 1950s or 60s or... let's just say "days of yore". Holy Smokes is it awesome! (I stand corrected - it's the HOCKEY team's crest from today. I need to pay better attention) 


Okay... I used it! It looks great, now let's move on.

The Hockey and Futbol teams have different Cs for their crests and I continued that tradition for my Football concept using the Ginger Peachy font. For the Nike Speed Concept I used a mockup of the Nike Total 90 font for the numbers and Aero Matics for the Name on Back. (I'll try to get the "generic" UWFFL fonts later on for you). Generic template fonta: Numbers: 8 K141, 1 Naftalene; Ruslan display for Myaso, Codename Coder Free 4F.

Oh, you maybe wondering about the drawing up above. For the different "fantasy" leagues I compete in, I draw covers for key games (or for my Moose squad - every home game). My Spartak and CSKA squads were going to face each other and I knew I had to do something special for the Main Moscow Derby. I used an alternative history as if both squads have been playing Grid Iron for years as backstory for the scene you see above. I threw back to an important point in the rivalry's history revisiting a controversial play giving Spartak the win (since they were the home team this go round). 

I researched Soviet posters from the 30s-50s as inspiration for the cover. 






Victory Day Ribbon added to both Jersey and Helmet 










No comments:

Post a Comment