Sunday, March 27, 2016

Futbol as Football: IF Elfsborg

Futbol as Football Series: IF Elfsborg from the Allsvenskan in Sweden.

The main reason I chose the Elegant Ones is their wordmark and added it to the helmet. Since I dig cool wordmarks on helmets like Duke's old helmet, Maryland's Terp helmet, Colgate's lid, and Pitt's helmet, I made it happen for this concept.

I am definitely going to revisit a few more squads from Allsvenskan with squads known as the Wasps and the Iron Stoves - I've gotta step up my game!

Elfsborg has a very traditional livery and I tried to keep things simple for the Yellow Ones. I did my standard badge-on-the-sleeve and placed the fan flag on the front of the jersey. Instead of keeping the Nike logo on the uniforms, I decided to go with Umbro because that is Elfsborg's kit manufacturer. Nike and Umbro used to be under the same flag before Nike sold Umbro to Iconix in 2012. 

That was good enough for me to use Nike templates for an Umbro squad. 

I combined the collar design from the 2015/16 with the black collar insert from the 2014/15 jersey. I also kept the side panels and incorporated them into the pants stripe. OH! I retooled the leaves from the badge for the helmet stripe. 

I made an all red kit in homage to the club's history of being a last minute substitution for the Finnish National team who had to pull out of a match against Sweden's 11. Since both Sweden and Elfsborg both wear yellow, the Elegant Ones had to borrow a red kit from a local squad in order to compete. Elfsborg won 2-1 and the red change kit has become a part of their livery. I also created a black change kit when needed and to keep with the American/Canadian model of one white/light, one dark in the basic team colors.

Font used: Cubadak

















No comments:

Post a Comment